From Founders' Wiki
- Search - Looking for something specific (Paid Search, Organic Search)
- Social - Virality through friends or influencers (Facebook, Twitter, E-Mail invites)
- Mobile - Word of mouth & impulse buying, App Store Top Lists
- Media - YouTube (videos), blogs, photos
- Communication - Email, IM, Chat
Details see DaveMcClure @ Google I/O 2010
- Offline advertising - Positioning in the mass market (Magazine ads, TV ads, Guerilla marketing)
- APIs - Enable others to build solutions on top of your API and let them help with reaching customers
- Sales - Long B2B sales process, prospects come from: direct sales, conferences/tradeshows, channel partners
- Other - Referral program (normal users reach out), affiliate program (people focused on selling reach out), PR, content marketing (freebies, mailing list, blog), meetups/conferences, cross-sales with partners, other products by the company
Target specific vertical markets
Bad: Build a feature-rich product that leads to all kinds of customers thinking "It's nice"
Good: Try out very specific marketing messages till you find one that works very well & has a scalable distribution channel.
- Organizing events
- John Gannon: How to find Earlyvangelists in your Customer Development Process
- Summary of Jason Cohen's Mixergy interview (how he used LinkedIn to find interview prospects)
- Eric Siu: 8 Startup Founders Reveal Their #1 User Acquisition Tactic
- Sean Ellis: To Pay Or Not To Pay To Acquire Users?
- Sean Ellis: Posts tagged "Acquiring Customers"
- Jason L. Baptiste: 16 ways your startup needs to be getting customers
- Tony Wright on distribution channels
- "Lean Startup, Lean Investor" Conference: Distribution channels slide
- Startup Killer: the Cost of Customer Acquisition
- Steve Blank: The LeanLaunch Pad at Stanford – Class 6: Channel Hypotheses
- Philip Kaplan: Getting Users For Your New Startup
- Torsten Weindl: How to find the perfect Blogs and Websites to tell the World about your App
- Ask HN: Have you used StumbleUpon to market?
- Ask HN: What kind of advertising have you tried that worked?
- Lean Startup Circle: Finding early customers for alpha/beta feedback
- Gabriel Weinberg: Ways to get 100 potential customers for $5 a day HN
- Daniel Tenner: How to get your first 1,000 users
- Ask HN: How do you promote your web apps?
- Imran Ghory: Customer acquisition using Facebook, Google, LinkedIn
- Ada Chen Rekhi: When Does Paid Acquisition Work for SaaS Startups?
- HN discussion: Finding Early Customers When You Aren't Internet Famous
- Brian Balfour: Building It Is Not Enough: 5 Practical Tips On User Acquisition
- Ask HN: how to acquire customers which are small businesses via internet?
- Gabriel Weinberg: Traction Verticals
- Jason Cohen: How do I get my first few customers?
- Des Traynor: Bad Channels & The Wrong Customers
- Brennan Dunn: Putting Retargeting To Work For Your Startup
- Ryan Hoover: Grow Your Email List with this Simple Twitter Hack
- Justin Mares: Traction — New Book Launch Backed by Exclusive Compass Data Analysis